Major good news! A federal judge has ruled that same-sex marriage is legal for some Tennessee couples.
Super busy this week so I’m light on the good news. Feel free to add your own contributions in comments.
• The London Zoo welcomed three endangered Sumatran tigers. Awwww.
• Three EU countries — Sweden, Estonia and Bulgaria — have met their 2020 renewable energy benchmarks early. However, all three trail Norway, which is not an EU member, according to the report. Despite being an oil-producing country, Norway gets over 64% of its energy from renewable sources.
• Speaking of Norway, the Scandinavian country has embraced EV vehicles and by April is expected to become the first country in which one out of every 100 cars is fully electric.
• A bill keeping guns out of the hands of domestic abusers passed in Washington state.
• A bill to repeal South Carolina’s Stand Your Ground law has been filed by Rep. Harold Mitchell, chair of the state’s Legislative Black Caucus.
• The Methodist church has dropped its case against Rev. Thomas Ogletree, 80, former dean of the Yale Divinity School, who officiated his son’t same-sex wedding.
• One month’s worth of pot taxes in Colorado? A cool $2 million.
• President Obama used an executive order to expand overtime pay for millions of American workers.
Good News, Tennessee Edition:
• Zeke the zebra has finally been returned to his Cleveland, TN farm after escaping more than five months ago.
• It took a public shaming campaign to get them to do it but North Carolina-based drug maker Chimerix finally agreed to give an experimental drug to 7-year-old hospitalized in Memphis. The company blamed the FDA, but the FDA does allow drug companies to make experimental drugs available under a “compassion” clause.