Some good news for the weekend. Enjoy!
• The British parliament voted overwhelmingly to recognize Palestine alongside Israel.
• Michael Dunn was sentenced to life in prison for the first degree murder of a Florida teenager over loud music.
• Lockheed Martin says it has made a major breakthrough in fusion technology.
• I love this story: A parrot with a British accent disappeared for four years, then returned home fluent in Spanish and asking for a guy named Larry. Hilarious.
• The U.S. Supreme Court has temporarily blocked Texas from shutting down its abortion clinics.
• A N.C. judge upheld a ban on concealed firearms at the North Carolina State Fair.
• A new report from the Vatican says the church should welcome gays and lesbians.
• Queens, New York is poised to get a super-cool greenway project. We’ve been to the High Line in Manhattan and it’s absolutely incredible.
• Harvard scientists say a cure for Type 1 diabetes is imminent.
Good News, Tennessee Edition:
• Nashville is hosting the 2016 NHL All-Star Game! WOOT! Wonder how much seats on the glass will cost?
• The “Vote No On 1″ side of the constitutional amendment that would give the Tennessee state legislature (as in, scary government) more power over abortion in Tennessee has outraised the pro-Yes On One side this quarter.
I’ve been deeply amused to see several of my known Tea Party-supporting, big-government-hating neighbors sporting “Yes on 1″ signs in their yards. Proving once again how phony their ideology is. Don’t they just love big government when Republicans are in charge! But guess what, folks: the Tennessee legislature will turn left some day. Pendulums swing, ‘cuz that’s what they do. And your handing the abortion issue over to the legislature now will come back to bite y’all on your butts when that inevitable day comes. Idiots.
This week’s cool video: Putting the goober in “gubernatorial debate,” this week Florida Gov. Rick Scott had a huge hissy fit over a battery-operated fan under Charlie Crist’s podium and ended up looking like a ginormous fool: