>LiveLeak has resuscitated the video of Larry Craig endorsing Mitt Romney. You can view it here at MyDD.
It’s pretty boring stuff, but it is amusing to hear Craig say that he and Mitt share the same “family values.” Ooops.
All in all, I think this is a sad story on all fronts. It’s sad that Larry Craig has lived a lie, soliciting sex in men’s bathrooms (I mean, that’s just creepy, if you ask me). It’s even sadder that he used his political career to keep closet doors shut all across America.
You’d think someone who experienced this situation would have a little compassion and understanding, and would want to enlighten people. Sadly, no. Check out his anti-GLBT voting record:
• Voted YES on constitutional ban of same-sex marriage. (Jun 2006)
• Voted NO on adding sexual orientation to definition of hate crimes. (Jun 2002)
• Voted NO on expanding hate crimes to include sexual orientation. (Jun 2000)
• Voted YES on prohibiting same-sex marriage. (Sep 1996)
• Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination by sexual orientation. (Sep 1996)
• Rated 25% by the ACLU, indicating an anti-civil rights voting record. (Dec 2002)
He also supported a state ban on same-sex marriage and civil unions.
I realize that a closeted gay person can just as easily be a Democrat or a Republican, but if you look at the scandals that have grabbed the headlines lately, they have overwhelming involved Republicans. I’m sure this is because the GOP made its Faustian deal with the anti-gay Religious Right. Democrats simply don’t carry that baggage.
It’s time for the Republican Party to recognize that there are gays and lesbians in their own party and this hypocrisy serves no one. Grow a pair and tell the Religious Right to quit the gay bashing. You’re just hurting yourselves.