Aagh it’s Friday the 13th! We need an extra helping of good news today, methinks, but I’ve been busy with other stuff this week. Sorry.
• Everyone was about to crap their pants over North Korea’s missile test this morning, but the rocket fizzled like a wet Roman candle.
• Iowa Republican State Senator Mark Chelgren was forced to withdraw his budget bill amendment that would have required moms receiving child support to submit to drug tests every six months after Democratic senators openly laughed at him before calling the idea “anti-woman” and a tool for “vindictive spouses.”
• George Zimmerman was arrested and charged with second-degree murder. Finally.
• Mayor of Newark, N.J. Cory Booker was hospitalized for smoke inhalation after rescuing a woman from a house fire. The good news part of this story being, the mayor pulled a woman out of a burning house! Holy cow! The woman is in stable condition.
• Missouri’s Rep. Mike Colonna has resigned from ALEC, citing the corporate group’s “extremist agenda” and noting,
If ALEC is too extreme for Coke, Pepsi, McDonald’s, Kraft, Wendy’s, Intuit and the Gates Foundation, it’s too extreme for me and the people of Missouri.
• Science solves a conundrum from history: why some Civil War soldiers glowed in the dark. I don’t know if this qualifies as “good news” but it sure is interesting.
• Beer makes men smarter. No word on what it does for women, besides make us fat.
• Right before selling his company, the CEO of tech company OMGPOP hired back the workers he previously was forced to lay off so they could share in the financial benefits.
• Russia has announced plans for a 650,000-acre national park that includes breeding ground for the rare Amur leopard, giving the big cats some species-saving protection.
Good News, Tennessee Edition:
• Nashville’s new Cumberland Park opens on the downtown Riverfront this weekend. It’s phase one of our riverfront’s redevelopment.