There’s always good news on Fridays! Here’s some:
• Dr. Robert Spitzer, regarded as the “father of modern psychiatry,” has apologized for his 2003 study supporting the use of reparative therapy to “cure” gays.
• California’s only known wolf in the wild, called OR7, has been photographed:
This is the only known color photograph of the animal. The photographer is Richard Shinn, a CA Dept. of Fish and Game employee. Quite a scoop!
• George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Alberto Gonzales, David Addington, William Haynes, Jay Bybee and John Yoo were all tried in absentia in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and found guilty of war crimes, including torture and “cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment.” The trial included testimony from former prisoners at Guantanamo Bay and Abu Ghraib.
• A plastic-eating fungi found in the Amazon could save us all from drowning in mountains of trash. Okay people this is why we saved the rainforest!
• Researchers at Harvard and Yale found that the average American is willing to pay a little more for clean energy, but not if the definition of “clean” includes natural gas and nuclear power. Interesting.
• A 9-year-old boy launched his own spontaneous counterprotest of the Westboro Baptist “Church” with his own “God Hates No One” sign. In so doing he became an overnight internet hero.
• Gay agenda alert! Ellen DeGeneres has been awarded the Mark Twain Prize For American Humor. The nation’s top humor prize, it is awarded by the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Past recipients include Bill Cosby and Tina Fey.
• George Lucas is sticking it to his NIMBY neighbors who opposed his plans for a digital film production studio by opting to build low-income housing on his land instead. He stated:
“If everyone feels that housing is less impactful on the land, then we are hoping that people who need it the most will benefit.”
• Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee signed an executive order recognizing out of state same-sex marriages, and again asked the state legislature to allow same sex marriage in Rhode Island.
• Sketchers will pay $40 million to settle false advertising claims that its ugly-assed shoes lead to weight loss, increase cardiovascular health, and improve muscle tone.
• Related: a judge has ruled that General Mills must defend its claim that Fruit Roll-Ups are made of real fruit, not the crap that’s listed on its label. Damn, I’m sick of this shit. Just be fucking honest already.
There was no good news out of Tennessee this week. None. Donna Summer died. Horse abuse was revealed. Nashville has issued its first air quality alert of the year today. Just beam me the hell up, already.
I leave you with this must-see video. It’ the TED Talk they didn’t want you to see, about income inequality and who the true job creators are. Watch and share with your friends and family: