Maybe the best news this week was the Democratic National Convention, which I found very inspirational. The prime-time speakers were all wonderful. And while many criticized President Obama’s speech for lagging a bit, he closed with bang.
Here are some other good news stories that crossed my radar this week. Enjoy!
• First, the economic report. Despite the gloom-and-doom we’re hearing about “just” 96,000 new jobs added in August and “just” a .2% decrease in unemployment, it’s still movement in the right direction. Plus, yesterday’s ADP report showed stronger than expected private-sector job growth in August, while July numbers were revised upwards. Maybe if we weren’t laying off all of those public-sector employees at the same time the private sector was struggling to regain its footing, we’d have better employment numbers overall. You know, invest in the country a bit? But, socialism is evil, etc. etc.
Also, the stock market is at all time highs, CEO pay is at record highs, U.S. corporate tax rates are at record lows, and personal tax rates are at record lows. So I just can’t imagine why more jobs haven’t been created! Don’t Republicans always tell us that if the corporate sector does well and you don’t tax the “job creators” all the goodies will trickle down on the rest of us eventually? So I guess that’s all bullshit, right? But oh I know, facts have a liberal bias. Carry on.
• The National Football League is donating $30 million to the National Institutes of Health to study brain injuries.
• The Pope got himself an electric car.
• The first grid-connected tidal energy project in the U.S. just got green-lighted.
• French company Accor is offering free wi-fi at 500 hotels. The company owns the Ibis, Mercure, Sofitel and Novotel chains.
• The California Assembly has banned ex-gay therapy on minors.
• Florida wildlife officials are reporting record numbers of loggerhead sea turtle nests.
• Ohio death row inmate Michael Keenan was exonerated and freed after 24 years in prison.
• I want one of these: a portable solar charging station for your iPhone, tablet, MP3 player, etc. that’s supposedly as fast as a wall outlet. Figure out how to power a laptop with one of these (yeah, I’m old school) and you’ve got a customer!
Good News, Tennessee Edition:
• Chattanooga gets its first-ever openly-gay candidate for city council.
• The State of Tennessee will open eight driver service centers on two Saturdays to accommodate those who want to get a photo ID to vote. Isn’t that big of the state? Two whole Saturdays! So fucking awesome. /sarcasm
• The Davidson County Election Commission decided against using the electronic poll books that caused so many issues in the primary, effective with the November election. But they will probably be used in the future so my enthusiasm is somewhat dampened.
This week’s cool video: Jennifer Granholm’s DNC speech wasn’t in prime time and I figure lots of people didn’t get to see it. So give it a watch here. She was — is — awesome: