Happy Winter Solstice, everyone! From here on out, the days grow longer by one minute a day. Light has triumphed over darkness — again!
Some other good news from the week:
• The Mayan apocalypse has failed, says Australia.
• GM is moving production of the Camaro from Canada to Lansing, MI.
• Discovery has cancelled its “American Guns” reality show and fired Ted Nugent.
• Charges against Lt. Dan Choi have been dismissed. The charges related to a 2011 protest of the Keystone pipeline in front of the White House.
• Former Rwandan government official Augustin Ngirabatware was found guilty of genocide by a United Nations tribunal and sentenced to 35 years in prison.
• Instagram backs off its “all your images are belong to us” idea.
• A river otter has been found living in San Francisco.
• A coal mining museum has installed solar panels. Hilarious.
• New Orleans schools have rejected teaching creationism as science.
• Some forms of obesity may be caused by a bacterial infection, says science. A cure can’t be far behind.
• This amazing Frank Lloyd Wright house in Phoenix has been saved from demolition. I’m something of a Frank Lloyd Wright junkie so this is great news for me.
• MI Gov. Rick Snyder vetoed a bill allowing guns in schools.
• Women in the Armed Services who are victims of rape will have access to abortion health services, thanks to the Shaheen Amendment.
• Ireland will legalize abortion when a woman’s life is at risk. The move follows the tragic death of Savita Halappanavar, who died while suffering a miscarriage and repeatedly being denied an abortion.
• Hours after California’s treasurer said he would recommend that the state’s pension funds divest themselves of investments in gun manufacturers, Cerberus Capital Management said it would sell Freedom Group LP, the largest U.S. gunmaker.
Good News, Tennessee Edition:
• Tennessee House Speaker Beth Harwell has come out against the “arm our teachers” idea. Seriously, visioni some of out nuttier elements have for this country is truly insane. Everyone walking around armed in a constant state of fear? Please, move to Somalia if that’s your idea of awesomeness.
I found this week’s video on YouTube, it’s people doing awesome things: