Welcome Crooks & Liars!
Is someone at the New York Times getting pwned or is this for real?
The 2016 election may be far off, but one theme is becoming clear: Republican strategists and presidential hopefuls, in ways subtle and overt, are eager to focus a spotlight on Mrs. Clinton’s age. The former secretary of state will be 69 by the next presidential election, a generation removed from most of the possible Republican candidates.
Despite her enduring popularity, a formidable fund-raising network and near unanimous support from her party, Mrs. Clinton, Republican leaders believe, is vulnerable to appearing a has-been.
“Perhaps in the Democratic primary and certainly in the general election, there’s going to be an argument that the time for a change of leadership has come,” said the Republican strategist Karl Rove. “The idea that we’re at the end of her generation and that it’s time for another to step forward is certainly going to be compelling.”
For a party trying to make inroads with women voters, calling Hillary Clinton’s age into question seems a dubious strategy. But also:
• The party that ran John McCain, born in 1936, for president in the 2008 election questions the age of Hillary Clinton, born in 1947?
• The party that constantly invokes the sainted name of the long-dead Ronald Reagan, the oldest president ever elected, questions Hillary Clinton’s age?
• The party whose base shows up wearing Revolutionary War costumes is questioning how current the likely Democratic Party candidates are?
• The party whose White House hopes rest with Jeb Bush, brother of the last failed Republican president and son of a failed Republican president before that, is throwing around words like “change of leadership” and “end of a generation”?
• The party whose unofficial motto is “party like it’s 1954″ is calling the Democratic Party old-fashioned?
• The party whose pick for governor of Virginia is actively trying to bring back long outmoded anti-sodomy and anti-oral sex laws dares question the modernity of the Democratic Party?
[ADDING … the party which is trying to repeal Obamacare for the gazillionth time says Democrats don’t have new ideas?]
Seriously, they just don’t have a clue, do they?