A day late and a dollar short: here’s a smattering of good news, sorry it’s not up to my usual standards. Life, you know.
• Harry Potter fans won a long battle to get Warner Bros. to use only fair trade or UTZ-certified chocolate in Harry Potter chocolate products sold at Warner Bros. stores.
• In a stunning rebuke to the NRA, Michigan’s Republican governor vetoed two pro-gun bills that removed protections for domestic violence victims at risk.
• New York City bans foam packaging, the largest U.S. city to do so.
• Major victory for the progressive wing of the Democratic Party and all who oppose the revoling door between Wall Street and government regulators: Antonio Weiss has withdrawn from consideration to be the Under Secretary for Domestic Finance at the Treasury Department.
• South Dakota’s same-sex marriage ban has been ruled unconstitutional by a federal judge.